THE BEST TREATMENTS FOR KIDNEY STONES
FIX KIDNEY STONES WITH THE BEST TEAM, AMAZING TECHNOLOGY, AND GREAT OUTCOMES. If you have kidney stones (also known as nephrolithiasis) we can help. We have the best tools to find stones and remove them. Our treatments have incredible precision and pinpoint accuracy that results in better stone clearance. If you have kidney stones and need surgery, please call us immediately as we can often treat your kidney stone within 24 hours. Most treatments are done as an outpatient in our state of the art surgery centers.
PREVENTION IS THE BEST MEDICINE
Many patients have kidney stones and yet very few ever have a comprehensive evaluation as to the reason they are forming stones. At Advanced Urology, we always evaluate the root cause of stone formation. A comprehensive stone evaluation includes simple blood work and a 48 hour urine collection (done conveniently at home) that analyzes over 200 different parameters that could be responsible for stone formation. We can help prevent stones before they start. Better yet, if you have a history of forming stones, you have a 50% chance of forming another stone. We can help prevent more from forming!
6 REASONS TO COME TO ADVANCED
GOALS OF KIDNEY STONE TREATMENT
The most important goal of kidney stone treatment is alleviating the blockage from kidney stones to improve your quality of life and preserve your kidney function. We want to get you stone free and pain free.
The second goal of treatment is to identify the cause of kidney stones with a comprehensive 100 variable evaluation. Identifying the cause allows us to fix the root of the problem and prevent further stone formation.
PAIN FREE, PLEASANT
Enjoy a pleasant and pain free experience. Any necessary procedures are done in our surgery center with anesthesia.
Overall, we want you to have the best possible outcome with the least side effects.
3 STEP JOURNEY TO SUCCESS
Our goal is to provide you personalized and innovative health care. We are professional, discreet, and empathetic. Our first visit in our clean, modern offices is to establish a relationship and understand your treatment goals. Meet us online or in person.
Urine is sent to the lab for a urine culture. This will help us determine if there is bacteria present. Imaging of the kidneys and bladder is performed via ultrasound which is painless and non invasive.
You are given general anesthesia in our surgery center. Advanced techniques are performed and your stones are precisely targeted. The procedure typically takes 60 minutes and you are sent home the same day. An internal stent is often placed to allow the kidney to drain and is removed 5 to 7 days later with anesthesia in our surgery center.
ADVANTAGES OF ADVANCED STONE TREATMENTS
Better stone clearance
Safe and effective
Long term solution
Minimal to no pain
Outpatient in our clean, surgery centers
Avoid the hospital!
WHAT ARE KIDNEY STONES MADE OF?
Kidney stones are most commonly calcium based. The most common stone type is calcium oxalate. Common reasons for kidney stones include dehydration, too much oxalate ingestion (diet and fluids), and too much calcium excretion by the kidneys.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF A KIDNEY STONE
Signs and symptoms of a kidney stone may include flank pain, back pain, nausea, vomiting, blood in the urine, urgent urination, frequent urination, pain in the genitals, and burning with urination.
HOW ARE KIDNEY STONES DIAGNOSED?
Kidney stones are diagnosed based upon history, physical exam, and imaging studies. We utilize high resolution ultrasound that can accurately detect stones with no radiation in every office. We also utilize modern CT scanners that use low dose radiation protocols to minimize radiation exposure. The most accurate way is Advanced Ureteroscopy, where a small telescope is placed inside the ureter and kidney in our state of the art surgery centers. This is done with anesthesia and is the most accurate and precise way to detect and remove stones.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE KIDNEY STONES?
2. Inflammatory Bowel Disease
3. High Blood Pressure
5. Lack of Exercise
6. Family history of kidney stones
CAN MY DIET CAUSE KIDNEY STONES?
YES! You are more like to get a kidney stone due to:
1. DEHYDRATION – The key to prevention is WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER. Not drinking enough fluids, or exercising without adequate fluid intake results in concentrated urine. Dehydration will allow the salts to crystallize as there will be no fluids to dissolve them. How much is enough? 100 ounces of water daily.
2. Excessive salt intake
4. Lack of fruits and vegetables in your diet
5. Too much meat in your diet
HOW CAN I PREVENT KIDNEY STONES FROM FORMING?
1. Water, water and more water. You should drink at least 65 ounces of water daily.
2. Less salt – A low sodium diet is important to preventing kidney stones. You should have less than 2000 milligrams of sodium. Remember this includes sodium in foods that you eat even though you haven’t added salt to them! Foods with a lot of sodium: Meats, Cheeses, Salad dressing, Olives, Bread, Canned foods – all kinds, pickled foods, Cereals, Pizza, fast foods, Condiments (Soy sauce, mustard, ketchup)
3. Citrate– Add citrus to your water. Citrate comes in oranges, lemons and limes. You should add three tablespoons of lemon or lime juice to your water daily. Drinking water with lemon juice or lime juice will increase your urinary citrate levels and lower the urinary calcium excretion.
4. Less meat – Eating too much animal protein can cause gout in your joints or increase uric acid release into the kidney and create stones.
ADVANCED TREATMENT OPTIONS
1. Medicines can help prevent stones, pass stones, and dissolve certain stones. This includes hydrochlorothiazide to reduce calcium excretion and potassium citrate to prevent stone formation.
2. Advanced Ureteroscopy is a precise technique that provides the best outcomes with minimal side effects. We utilize Endoluxe Vision technology to precisely localize and remove stones. This targeted millimeter accuracy improves outcomes and minimizes side effects. This procedure is done endoscopically (no cuts or incision) and you are sent home without a catheter.
3. PCNL – For larger stones over 3 cm in size, PCNL is a highly effective treatment to remove large stones. This is done through a small skin puncture in the back (requiring a nephrostomy tube). This is done in our state of the art surgery centers and you are sent home the same day.
4. Advanced Robotic Surgery provides the optimal solution for very large stones and relieving blockage in the ureter. We have the best robotic surgeons in the Southeast to fix the problem and minimize side effects.
MEDICINES TO TREAT STONES
1. Tamsulosin – There are typically three medicines that can help with stones. The first medicine is tamsulosin which helps relax the ureter and can help pass a small stone (<5 mm) stuck in the ureter. This is called medical expulsive therapy. Stones over 6mm in size typically require surgery for removal. Stones that are stuck in the kidney must be removed with Advanced Ureteroscopy.
2. Potassium citrate – is a medicine used to help prevent stones in patients who do not make enough citrate. Citrate is a stone inhibitor naturally made by the body. It also occurs in citrus fruits such as lemons and oranges. This is a powerful tool to stop stone formation.
3. Hydrochlorothiazide – Also known as HCTZ, this helps reduce calcium excretion by the kidneys . Some people excrete too much calcium which can cause stones when it is combined with oxalate. HCTZ is also used to lower blood pressure.
Advanced Ureteroscopy is a highly accurate and precise way to remove kidney stones. This is a better way to treat stones than shock wave lithotripsy. This procedure is done endoscopically without cuts or incisions . A telescope is placed through natural openings to remove the stones. This allows for all stones to be identified, lasered, and then removed with a basket. This direct visualization of stones and subsequent removal is a much more effective way to clear stones than shock wave lithotripsy. Shock wave is a much less precise and less desirable therapy. It has more side effects including bleeding , a risk of diabetes, and all stones still have to be passed often creating much pain in the process. Advanced Urology has the most advanced equipment to remove stones via Advanced Ureteroscopy.
Advanced Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy or PCNL is a modern and highly effective treatment to remove blockage from large stones or staghorn calculi (stones occupying most of the kidney). This procedure is done endoscopically through a small tube placed inside the kidney (called a nephrostomy tube). Stone is broken with an ultrasonic probe and suctioned out of the kidney . This instantly removes stones. For patients who have large stones, this procedure is highly effective. This precisely removes kidney stones with minimal damage to surrounding tissues. This millimeter accuracy leads to great outcomes and minimal side effects. This helps preserve kidney function and eliminate stone quickly.
ADVANCED ROBOTIC SURGERY
Robotic surgery (more specifically robotic nephrostolithotomy) is a good option to remove stone if a concurrent procedure is needed on the kidney. As an example, a concurrent procedure may include repairing a diseased ureter (the ureter is the drainage tube for the kidney) or removing a kidney cancer. Robotic surgery is done through 5 small incisions as an outpatient. Most patients are sent home the same day with minimal pain. Benefits of surgery include less bleeding, better stone clearance, and improved long term outcomes.
ADVANCED TECHNIQUES: BETTER OUTCOMES AND LESS SIDE EFFECTS
Advanced technology provides the best outcomes with minimal side effects. We utilize Advanced technology with 3D geospatial mapping to precisely treat BPH. This targeted millimeter accuracy improves outcomes and minimizes side effects such as sexual and urinary dysfunction. Our goal is to fix BPH with the least side effects and the best quality of life outcome.
We have ultramodern purpose built facilities to provide all your care. You will have access to multiple fellowship trained urologic oncologists at Advanced with training from the best programs such as Baylor, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and University of Southern California. We have all the expertise in house to help you.